By Justin Byerly
More notes from the Big Shots AAU Tournament in Clemson, SC…
Flight 22 17U (Wilmington, NC)
Coached by: Nathan Faulk
Rian Holland-6-foot, 2013 PG/SG out of South View HS. Came in a little off of the Rian Holland that I know, at the Clemson Big Shots. Turned it on Sunday with a five 3-pointer and 23 point performance against Team Georgia Elite. (Found out he was very sick) One of the best shooters at the event. Can knock it down once he gets off the bus. Great range, great handle. High Major-Mid Major player when it is all said and done. Interest from Boston College, William & Mary & Charleston Southern among others.
Drew Combs-5-foot-10, 2012 out of Wilmington (NC) Ashley HS. Had a very productive Clemson Big Shots Event. Combs has a really good handle, runs the point guard spot and the leads them team the entire game. Has been getting a lot of interest from NYACK (New York City) recently, visited). Had 10 points against Team Georgia Elite in a 72-63 win. Averaged 9 points and 6 assists per game for the weekend at Clemson.
Elijah Wilson-6-foot-3, 2012 out of Wilmington (NC) Laney HS. The former College of Charleston commit averaged 17 points per game last weekend at Big Shots Clemson. Scored 19 points against Team Georgia Elite. He has a lot of interest from VMI (offered), UNC-Greensboro, Winthrop and High Point University.
Matt Gilgo- 6-foot-3, 2013 out of Topsail (NC) HS. A good shooter, with a pure jump shot. Gets a lot of deflections of defense, does a good job boxing out when the shot goes up to get rebounds or allow teammates to scoop it up.
Dominique Wiggins-6-foot-1, 2013 out of South View (NC) HS. A good player, only saw him for a little while, but when I did, he had great defensive pressure and hustled.
Treshawn Patterson-6-foot-7, 2013 out of South View HS. The big guy had a nice Clemson Big Shots, will be one to watch over the summer and next season.
Pharoah McKever- 6-foot-7, 2013 out of South Columbus (NC). Had a very good Clemson Big Shots as well, picking up a lot of interest from some colleges after his weekend.
The Carolina Ticks 17U
(Top Performers at Big Shots Clemson)
Rashaad Roberts- 6-foot-2, 2013 out of Reagan High School ( Pfafftown, NC) A lefty, very athletic, has a nice stroke from the 3pt line. Has a college-ready body. Very muscular kid, shoule be one to pay attention to.
Torey Baskin – 6-foot-3, 2012 out of Mt. Tabor ( Winston Salem,NC) Unsigned senior /shooting guard nice stroke, very quick, athletic and uses all of that to get in the lane. Does a great job of penetrating in the paint to either hit the jumper or floater. Makes the right pass a lot of the time.
Will Stevenson-6-foot-5, 2012 SF out Winston Salem (NC) Prep is an athletic rebounder, very precise ball handler and can knock down mid range jump shot consistently. He is one to take a good look at.
Marques Henderson- 5-foot-11, 2013 out of Glenn HIgh School ( Kernersville, NC) right handed PG/SG that can finish left or right. Does a good job rebounding, can pass very well and is expected to have a strong senior season.
Georgia Next Level- Coached by Neil Berrien (Marietta, GA)
(Top Performers at Big Shots Clemson)
Neil Berrien, 6-foot-2, 2013 RL Osborne HS (GA) – High basketball IQ, along with a good feel for the game. Has quick hands & good three point shot. A very coachable leader on the floor with a nice handle. Tough kid (plays on the bottom of 2-3 zone and rebounds with bigger sized guys)
Ranier Thornton, 6-foot-6, 2014 RL Osborne (GA) – Easily can post double double #’s in points & rebounds, plays better vs better competition, great textbook form on jumpshot, can step out to three and challenges a lot of shots at the rim,above avg athlete, good hands on him.
Mark Strickland. 6-foot-3, 2013 Kennesaw Mountain (GA)- Works hard, able to apply instruction always blocks out for rebounds runs the floor, was always talking to teammates on defense
JaQuinton Alston-Thompson, 6-foot-4, 2014 RL Osboure (GA) -Hard worker, smooth 15′ jumpshot, plays strong, very good finisher around the basket, will just get better & better with experience.
Jacksonville Nets 16U
(hands down) tournament MVP for Jacksonville Nets – He averaged 25 points, 11 rebounds, 3 steals, and 3 blocks per game. Also had a number of shots he altered or passes he deflected.
Other Strong Performances:
– “The best all around performance I’ve ever seen him play in a tournament”, his coach said. Calvin set the tone for the tournament in the first game where he had 2 spectacular dunks (on a couple of guys). Calvin’s lock down defense on the opposing teams key players was pivotal for us. Calvin had numerous assists, including a number of no look passes that were getting “ahhs & oohs”.
– leading scorer 1st game with 22 points, and turning in all around very strong performance. Jasper made 3 crucial 3-point shots in a row with 8 minutes left in the game, to tie the game in their 4th game. Ended up winning that game by 12 points.
- Jacksonville Nets would not have won the 2nd game in the tournament had it not been for Tre Wilson, literally taking over the game, running off 10 points in a row in a stretch of 2 minutes, finishing with 18
– Controlled the offense and made shots when needed, although not shooting great in the championship game. His coach, “Brennan has been our most consistent shooter (mid-range and 3point), something that our team had been missing.”
– Made crucial 3 point shots and played locked down defense all weekend, frustrating the opposing guards
– Might be one of the best in Florida at finishing on a fast break. Raheem turned in strong performances in games 1 and 2, which helped them advance to the Championship
Fab5 Athletics 16U Team (Raleigh, NC)
6’1″ Guard ,8th Grade Salem Middle School, Apex, NC
Stats: PPG: 13 Asst: 6 Rebs: 6 Stls: 4
6 ’1 Guard 9th Grade Leesville High School, Raleigh, NC
Stats: PPG: 12 Asst: 2 Rebs: 3 Stls: 2
5’8″ Point Guard 9th Grade Cardinal Gibbons High School, Raleigh, NC
Stats: PPG: 7 Asst: 3 Rebs: 2 Stls: 2
Carolina Hurricanes 16U
(Played in the 16U Orange division and lost in the semi-finals to TN Chosen Few)
Top performers were:
Keil Sherman- 6’0″ 2014 (Eastside HS, Greenville, SC) Keil was Carolina Hurricane’s leading scorer for the tournament
Jeremiah West- 5’11″ 2014 (Brashier Middle College, Simpsonville, SC) Jeremiah was the deep threat knocking down the deep ball all weekend.
Dorian Pinson- 6’3″ 2014 (Southside HS, Greenville, SC). Tallest player on the squad and played at forward/center, led defense by altering & blocking shots and owning the glass.