By James Blackburn
Opening game of 2011 ACC Tournament
Miami wins 69-62(OT)
• Miami- Too many Turnovers- guards cant handle the defensive pressure by Virginia
• Miami- Relies on 3’s; they are making them today
• Virginia doubled Johnson every time.
• Miami is getting a lot of offensive rebounds
• Miami can score efficiently inside
• Virginia is playing very well defensively- they are making Miami shoot over them.
• Virginia is a smart team- patient
• Both teams are struggling to score early
• Very few transition opportunities this half for either team.
• Miami is playing a 2-3 zone in the middle of second half.
• Miami as a team is too anxious and jumpy on defense- not disciplined- go for a lot of pump fakes and they gamble too much.
• Miami can’t buy a basket in second half.
• Virginia lacks a solid inside presence when Sene is out of the game.
• Virginia is keeping Miami in the game with their poor FT shooting.
• Miami almost scored more points in last 30 seconds than they did in the entire 2nd half.
• Everything that could go wrong for Virginia in the last 35 seconds of the game happened to Virginia- turnovers, missed free throws, not securing rebounds. Blew 7 point lead.
• Neither team wants to win- Miami had a chance to win it with 11 seconds left and does not even get a shot off.
• This game is crazy- you wonder what will happen next. Virginia throws bad inbounds pass with 2 seconds left and Miami got a last second 3 off- no good.
• This game is wild and is going into OT.
• Grant for Miami is carrying Miami in the extra period- is confident and wants the ball in the crunch.
• Miami is finding its stroke just in the right time.
• Virginia chooses not to double Johnson with 50 seconds left and Johnson made them pay.
• This game was about Virginias collapse and Miami not giving up and their incredible comeback.
Reggie Johnson (C, 6’10”, SO)
Strengths- big body down low, good back to the basket player, sets wide/solid screens- good P/R player. Good rebounder- even when he can’t secure rebound- does a nice job of tipping the ball to teammates. Takes it right at the defense. Good shot blocker. Can finish with contact- strong. Made a couple of big baskets in OT.
Weaknesses- not used to double teams- looks uncomfortable when they come in 1st half. To his credit he adapted through out the game and did throw several nice passes in 2nd half- turned and faced double team .Got in foul trouble early- was not a factor on defense early in 2nd half because of fouls. Needs to improve footwork and midrange game. Poor FT shooter.
Overview- Could not get into a rhythm in this game because of constant double teams by Virginia. The double teams show the improvement of Johnson since his freshman year and the respect teams now give him. Had his coming out party against Wake Forest last year in the ACC tournament. Big body, strong rebounder, and decent post game. He needs to continue to improve his conditioning and improve overall offensive game, but has come a long way from being just a hustle player. The NBA is in his future.
Durand Scott (G, 6’3”, SO)
Strengths- Attacks the rim, good defensive rebounder. Quick. Big steal and basket with the foul with 14 seconds left in game to tie the game. Good shooter.
Weaknesses- Forces the issue at times- TO prone. Needed to assert himself more on the offensive end.
Overview- Was quiet for most of the game and disappeared for long stretches. Tied the game with a big lay-up after the steal. Capable of scoring a lot of points. Streaky shooter.
Sammy Zeglinkski (G, 6’1”, JR)
Strengths- Active defender- had an athletic, creative reverse finish in transition early, good passer, good shooter w/ NBA range- can shoot the midrange, changes speeds well, does a good job of playing off the ball, can play PG or 2G- has a 2-1 assist to TO ratio for season. Does a good job of coming off screens for the catch and shoot- quick release.
Weaknesses- made some poor decisions – took some poor shots and had a shot clock violation. Needs to improve FT shooting. Had a big TO with 18 seconds left. Struggled with game on the line- TO’s and missed FT’s.
Overview- Up and down game today from the junior guard. Smart player but had really fell apart at the end of the game. Does a lot of things well at the college level- but has a long shot to get to the NBA- being undersized and lack of speed and athleticism will hurt him- will have a long career overseas. Struggled through injuries through out the season- missed 7 games due to injury.
Mustapha Farrakhan (G, 6’4”, SR)
Strengths- shooter, scorer- left handed, capable of playing either guard position, can finish with either hand at rim, good FT shooter, good first step. Quick in the open court.
Weaknesses- struggled with his shot today- to his credit he attacked the basket since outside jumper was not falling.
Overview- Solid game today from Farrakhan who was named Honorable Mention All-ACC. Injured foot w/ 5:30 left but returned with in a couple of minutes. Good size for a PG- will have to improve play making ability to have a real shot at the NBA. Solid shooter and scorer who can get to the rim who will most likely get a chance to play for an NBA summer league team and then the D-League to fine tune his game.
Hey, if you like this kind of basketball coverage, do yourself a favor and sign up for the BasketballElite.com newsletter, which is free for basketball lovers.